1. Place the chicken thighs in a large Ziploc bag and marinate overnight with the wine, vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, juniper berries, peppercorns, clove and cinnamon.
2. To prepare the stifado,
3. Cut the onions into thickly diced chunks.
4. In a large pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat.
5. Add the salt, sugar, and a pinch of freshly ground pepper.
6. Cook the onions until they turn slightly golden, this will take about 15 minutes.
7. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and oregano.
8. Cook for another five minutes.
9. Add the marinated chicken, along with all the spices and wine.
10. Pour in one cup of water and reduce the heat to low.
11. Cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
12. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
13. Serve the stifado on top of orzo pasta that has been lightly buttered.
14. For an authentic Greek flavor, I suggest browning the butter.
15. Garnish with a pinch of parsley and parmesan before serving.