Larissa Wohl comes into the kitchen to show us how to make Chicken Pup Pie, a delicious dinner for our dogs that will have them howling for seconds.
Chicken Pup Pie
- 1 cup oat flour, plus more for counter
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg, for wash
- 1 can (13 oz) chicken breast
- ½ cup frozen broccoli
- ½ cup diced sweet potato
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon oat flour
Chicken Pup Pie - Home & Family
- Heat oven to 375˚F.
- Add oat flour and butter to food processor. Pulse until butter is broken into pebbles.
- Add oat flour to bowl. Using your fingers, press butter into the flour until it is broken into small pebbles.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, kneading until mixture is sturdy dough.
- Sprinkle counter with extra flour, roll dough out until it is ¼” thick.
- Use 4-inch ring mold to cut out two circles from dough, rerolling if necessary, after the first cut.
- Cut an “x” in the middle of each round, for steam to escape through while baking.
- Brush each round with egg wash.
- Bake dough rounds for 15 minutes, remove and set aside.
- While crust is baking, make the filling.
- In large skillet over medium heat, add canned chicken, frozen broccoli, and sweet potato. Cook until broccoli is defrosted and cooked through.
- Add water and flour to skillet, stir everything together until coated in “sauce.”
- Spoon filling into two ramekins.
- Place baked dough rounds on top of each ramekin, then put in oven for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool before serving to dogs.
Recipe by Dan Kohler, 3/24/2021