Debbie Matenopoulos prepares the perfect appetizer for your Oscar party.
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1" thick nuggets
- 1 c. flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c. panko
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 frozen mini waffles, toasted
- Maple butter
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Pour panko into a third bowl. Working in batches, dredge chicken tenders in the flour mixture then dip in buttermilk mixture. Toss in panko for the final dredge.
- Meanwhile, pour about 1 1/2” vegetable oil into a large, deep skillet. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches about 350 degrees F, or until the oil is shimmering. (If a splash of water sizzles when you flick it into the pan, it’s ready.) Working in batches, add 3-4 chicken tenders to the hot oil using tongs. Do not crowd the pan, or the oil will cool! Cook until golden brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook until the second side is golden and the chicken is cooked through, 2-3 more minutes. Place the fried chicken tenders on a cooling rack lined with paper towels.
- Brush toasted mini waffles with melted butter. Top the half of the waffles with fried chicken and drizzle with maple syrup. Top with the remaining waffles. Insert toothpick into the center of each waffle slider.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page