- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups / 400g crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
From the Spice Box
- 6 cloves
- 6 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder*
- *Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level increase the amount of chili powder by 1⁄4 teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
Dice the chicken into approximately 1 inch pieces
Peel and dice the onions into 1⁄2 inch squares
Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible Lightly chop the cilantro
Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then add the cloves, cardamom, star anise and
cinnamon sticks. Let it sizzle for 1 minute.
Add the onions and stir occasionally on a medium heat for 20 minutes or until the onions turn brown.
Add the tomato paste, ginger, garlic, crushed canned tomatoes, salt, water, garam
masala, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground cumin & coriander. Stir it and let
it simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat with the lid on. Check and stir frequently.
Add the chicken, stir it and then cook for another 30 minutes on a low heat with the
Take off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Check out more recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page