- 8 oz high-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 oz cup heavy cream
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- Assorted coatings such as cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, crushed peppermint candies, assorted nuts, etc.
1. Place chocolate in a glass bowl.
2. Bring cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate.
3. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in butter and flavoring; if desired, at this point.
5. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
6. With a mellon baller or mini ice cream scoop, scoop out mounds of ganache onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
7. With your hands, roll into uniform balls.
8. Finish with coatings in shallow bowls; roll truffle centers in coatings, taking care to evenly distribute coatings.
9. Return to baking sheet; chill until set, about 30 minutes.
10. Place in candy cups, wrap in candy foil or place loose in holiday tins with tissue paper.
11. Gift away and save some for yourself and enjoy!