- 3 ½ oz fennel, about 1 bulb
- 4 large blood oranges
- 4 fl oz/½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup finely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 pound large shrimp deveined
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- To steam the shrimp - place the steamer over a pot of barely simmering water and pop the prawns in and cook for 5 to 8 minutes depending on the size - place in the fridge to cool or an ice bath. Once cool, peel and remove any intestinal tract that may still be there.
- To make the salad, wash the fennel and discard the outer bulb—you need to use the inner part/heart of the fennel bulb. Thinly slice or shave the fennel and place in a bowl. Peel the oranges and remove as much of the white pith as you can.
- Remove the seeds. Slice the oranges in rounds about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick. Add to the bowl with the fennel.
- To make the dressing, mix half the oil with 1 teaspoon of the vinegar and pour over the oranges and fennel. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle half the parsley through the salad to give it some color. Toss to combine and allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the prawns in a bowl and add the chilli, garlic and the remaining oil, vinegar and parsley.
- Season to taste. Toss to combine. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes before serving. Layer the salad onto plates, then arrange the shrimp on top.