Ingredients for the slow cooker chickpeas:
- 7 cups water
- 1 pound dry chickpeas, sorted and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Special equipment: a 2 1/2-quart slow cooker
Ingredients for the hummus:
- 1 cup black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound slow cooker chickpeas, cooled, recipe follows
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- Powdered sumac, optional
Ingredients for the wrappers:
- 12 ea. Coconut wrappers (paleo wraps)
- 2 bags kelp noodle
- 3 bunches Dino kale (pre wash, de-stem, and chiffonade)
- 2 cups hummus, recipe from above
- 3 cups red quinoa
- 12 ea. Broccoli stems, peel and cut into baton (pre-blanch)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, processed into cous cous
- 12 ea. Asparagus, (pre-blanch)
- 1 bu. Cilantro, leaves and stems
- Tt pink himalayan fine sea salt
- 3 md. Carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 t shallot, minced
- 4 ea. Serranno chile, sliced and in water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp turmeric, fresh grated
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 t soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil, toasted
- 1/4 cup grape-seed oil
- 1/4 cup water
Specialty ingredients & equipment:
- Coconut wrappers can be found out Whole foods and Erewhon
- Spice grinder
- Micro plane
- Citrus juicer, handheld
Coconut wrapper, kelp noodles, asparagus, broccoli, kale and quinoa salad, Black sesame tahini hummus, turmeric black pepper lemon dipping sauce
Yield: 6 servings
Dish sub categories: appetizer, vegan, gluten free, paleo
Method for the slow cooker chickpeas:
Place the water, chickpeas, and baking soda in a 2 1/2 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 hours or on low heat for 8 to 9 hours or until tender. Drain and serve immediately or use in desired dish.
Method for the hummus:
Toast black sesame seeds until fragrant and place in blender with olive oil and puree for 30 seconds or until smooth. Place the chickpeas, garlic, black sesame tahini, and kosher salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 20-30 seconds. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the lemon juice sea salt and water. Process for additional 10 seconds then scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil if desired. Rectify seasoning with salt and lemon juice according to palate.
Transfer the black sesame tahini hummus to a bowl and reserve.
Method for the kale and quinoa salad with hummus dressing:
- Bring medium size pot (4 qt) of water to a boil.
- Toast quinoa in sauté pan and add to boiling water.
- Explain the rest of the cooking process (ie: boil for 15 min and strain like pasta). Switch to already cooked quinoa, then add kale, broccoli florets, loose hummus dressing, and sea salt and combine.
Method for the dressing:
- Add minced shallots and sliced seranno to vinegar and macerate.
- Add shallot and vinegar mixture to blender along with carrots, ginger, turmeric, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper and process until smooth. With machine running, add vegetable oil and then water through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream. Serve sauce with spring rolls.
Method for the spring rolls:
Place coconut wrapper on cutting board, put salad on wrapper, place noodles on top of salad, line up broccoli stems, asparagus, and cilantro. Roll up spring rolls, slice and serve with dipping sauce.
Go to beefsteakrestaurant.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.