- 6 each medium-size pumpkins (6-inch diameter) – these pumpkins will be carved out and used as a serving dish for the risotto. I usually deep fry and roast these pumpkins so they are a cooked vessel and edible for the dish but we can discuss with chef which way makes the best presentation.
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 6 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin, diced and cooked
- 1 ½ cups of pumpkin puree (recipe as follows)
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of sage, fried
- 2 ounces of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces of unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup of mascarpone cheese
- 2 ounces pumpkin seed oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
PUMPKIN SEED GRANOLA:
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ rolled oats
- ½ cup sugar free maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup toasted pistachio
- 1 pound butter
- 1 head garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped sage
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Lemon juice/zest as needed
Bring chicken stock to a boil
Beat a medium to large size saucepan over medium to high heat. Add olive oil. Add chopped onion. Lightly sweat the onion for just under 1 minute and add the risotto. Toast the risotto for 1 – 2 minutes to bring out its natural nutty flavor.
Deglaze with chicken stock, just enough to cover the rice while stirring occasionally and allowing the liquid to absorb into the rice. This process takes about 15 to 18 minutes. Once risotto is fully cooked, you will want to fold in your pumpkin puree, diced pumpkin, mascarpone cheese and fried sage.
Fill the pumpkin shells with risotto and garnish with pumpkin see granola and a little pumpkin seed oil. Serve immediately.
COOKED & DICED PUMPKIN:
For this recipe we are going to dice and cook 3 cups of pumpkin, we will reserve half the pumpkin diced for the risotto and puree the rest in the blender for the pumpkin puree.
In a large sauté pan, melt 2 ounces of olive oil and 2 ounces of butter. Add one sprig of thyme and 3 cups of diced pumpkin. Season with salt and pepper and sweat the pumpkin over medium heat, lightly covered with foil until the pumpkin is tender.
Reserve half of the diced pumpkin for the risotto and the other half for the puree.
PUMPKIN SEED GRANOLA:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix pumpkin seeds, oats, puree, maple syrup, butter, pumpkin pie spice, pistachio, cinnamon and salt in a bowl until well combined and spread prepared mixture evenly of prepared baking sheet
Bake in a preheated over, stirring every 15 minutes for a total of 30-45 minutes.
- Butter on plate, aromatics in prep bowls
- Add all to stand mixer, blend
- Scrape butter onto parchment paper, tighten into log
- Swap for log in fridge
- Slice coins onto plate