Tomatillo Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 lb or 5 cups tomatillos washed and cut into quarters
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ½ jalapeno (check spice level)
- 1 ea avocado pit and skin removed
- 1 ea garlic clove, germ removed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt to taste
For The Enchiladas:
- 1 ea Clove Garlic cut in ½ and germ removed
- 1 ea Sweet Onion, sliced
- 1 lb Portabella Mushroom, stems removed, washed and sliced
- 1 bunch Black Kale
- 14 oz can San Marzano chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup Cooked Black Beans, low sodium
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 12 ea Corn Tortillas
- 4 oz Ranchero Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Grilled Corn, Avocado, Tomato and Radish Ingredients:
- 4 ea White Corn
- 1 ea Avocado pit removed, skin remove and diced
- 12 Cherry tomatoes
- ½ bunch Scallions green part sliced
- ½ Lime Juice
- 1 Lime zested
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Espelette Pepper to taste
- 4 cups Greens
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Persian Cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 1 Garlic crushed
- 3 oz Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 oz Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 oz Water
- 7 oz Grapeseed Oil
- 4 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Tomatillo Sauce Recipe
- Place the tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, avocado, sugar and water in a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Heat a large pan over high heat.
- Add the vegetable oil and let smoke, pour in the tomatillo sauce and mix well being careful as the sauce will splatter as it hits the oil.
- Turn the heat down, season with salt and let cook for 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Transfer to a container and keep warm.
- If it is too thick add a little water.
- This can be prepared a day in advance.
For the Enchiladas:
- Place the butter, sliced onions and garlic in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Let the butter melt. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and translucent about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Sauté until mushrooms are light golden, season lightly with salt.
- Add the kale and mix well to wilt the kale.
- Add the vegetable stock and drain chopped tomatoes.
- Cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the drained Black Beans and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Heat 4 tortillas at a time.
- Leave the tortillas on a flat surface, spoon some of the mushroom filling into the center of each tortilla and roll.
- Place the rolled tortillas in a baking casserole with the seam side down.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the tortillas.
- Ladle the Tomatillo sauce over the enchiladas completely covering them.
- Crumble the ranchero cheese over the sauced enchiladas.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees, for 10-15 minutes.
- Until the cheese has melted.
Grilled Corn, Avocado, Tomato and Radish Recipe:
- Remove the husk keeping it as intact as possible and the silk.
- Rub the corn with butter and season with espellette or cayenne pepper and wrap with the husks.
- Place on the pre-heated grill and cook for l0 to 12 minutes rotating the corn often.
- Remove the corn from the grill and take off the husk.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Slice off the kernels into a bowl, cut the tomatoes into quarters and add to the corn.
- Add the avocado, sliced radish, sliced scallions, grate the lime zest over and add the juice of ½ a lime, the extra virgin olive oil.
- Season the salad to taste with salt and espelette pepper.
(Recipe courtesy Josiah Citrin)
- Combine the mustard, garlic, water, Balsamic and Red Wine vinegar with a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid (a pasta sauce jar works well) and shake well.
- Add the grapeseed oil and shake well.
- Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and shake well again.
- It is important to shake before each use.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.