- 1 double pie crust
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced habanero chilis, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium wheat-free tamari
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 cups asparagus, woody ends removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups diced seitan
Prep: Put the bottom pie crust in a pie plate and set it in the freezer. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the vegan butter and coconut oil.
- Add the leeks, celery, carrots, garlic, habaneros, sage, basil, and thyme.
- Sauté until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, mixing constantly. This should brown into a light roux.
- Add the broth, tamari, and soy milk, whisking until thickened.
- Fold in the asparagus, peas, and seitan.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes on low simmer.
- Add the mixture to the pie shell and top with your second pie shell, crimping the edge to seal.
- Brush the top crust with a little oil.
- Poke a few holes in the top to vent the steam.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. You can tell when it's done when it's a golden brown color and smells like pot pie!
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for several minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.