- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound broccoli florets (from about 2 heads), chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- Leaves from 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk (optional)
1. In a large pot, melt the butter (or ghee) over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes, until
3. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for a few minutes more, until fragrant.
4. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until bright green, 3 to 4
5. Remove the pot from the heat and carefully transfer the soup to a blender or food
processor (you may need to do this in batches). Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and
parsley. If you like the taste and creaminess of coconut milk, add that too.
6. Blend until smooth (be careful when blending hot liquids). Alternatively, blend the soup
directly in the pot using an immersion blender.
7. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.