Chef Stuart O'Keeffe shares his recipe for a hearty beef and sweet potato pie with cornbread crust.
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil (or any high temperature oil)
- 1 lb. ground beef, 90/10
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 1 can whole San Marzano tomato
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package cornbread mix (plus ingredients to make it)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet (preferred) or any other oven safe saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Cook beef over a medium high heat until browned and cooked through. Remove and set aside. Add onion, carrots, celery and potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and seasoning, add back in the beef
- Crush tomatoes in a bowl and add to the skillet along with the thyme, bay leaf and 1 cup of water. Stir, let simmer for 8-10 minutes to thicken. Meanwhile let’s make the cornbread batter. Follow package instructions.
- Pour cornbread mix on top leaving about 1 inch from the edge of the pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. About 15 minutes. Let cool before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.