Ingredients for Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped
- 750g (1 ½ lb) carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- pinch dried chili flakes
- 1 cup (200g) red lentils
- 1 liter (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) water
Ingredients for Brocccoli Pesto
- 200 g (6 ½ oz) broccoli, cut into florets
- ¼ cup (40g) unsalted roasted cashews
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and carrot, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add cumin, coriander and chili; stir to coat. Add lentils and the stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes or until lentils and carrots are soft. Cool for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to make broccoli pesto, process all ingredients except oil until finely chopped. With motor operating, add oil in a thin, steady stream. Season to taste.
3. Blend or process soup, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to pan with the water; stir over medium heat until hot. Season to taste. Serve soup topped with pesto, micro coriander and chili oil, if you like.
NOTE: The soup and the pesto can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover the soup and place the pesto in an airtight container; keep both in the fridge. Soup and pesto will freeze for up to 3 months.