Ingredients for Cannolis
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup white wine
Ingredients for the Filling
- 3 lb ricotta
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
- 2 caps lemon juice
Directions for Cannolis
1. Pre heat 4-5 inches of canola oil in a heavy-bottomed pot or table top fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Work the butter pieces in the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture becomes coarse and sandy. Add the egg yolk and the white wine and mix until it becomes a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out thin, about 2 mm. Stamp out dough rounds using a cookie cutter. The size of the dough rounds will depend on the size of your cannoli tubes. The scraps can be kneaded and rerolled.
4. Wrap the cut-out dough around a metal cannoli tube and seal it closed with some water. Using tongs, submerge the shell and tube in the oil and fry until browned. Remove the tube from the oil. Allow as much of the oil to drip off. Gently tap the tube to release the shell or using a kitchen towel, gently slide the hot shell off of the tube. Allow the shells to cool completely before filling
Directions for Filling
1. Drain ricotta overnight.
2. Mix ingredients together with a hand mixer, and place in a bag to pipe into cannoli shells.
3. Dip sides in sprinkles or anything you desire.