- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- ½ cup sugar
1. In a large electric mixer bowl, place butter, sugar, and extracts. Cream together thoroughly. Beat in egg. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Stir into butter mixture and combine well.
2. Divide dough into two equal portions. Blend in red food coloring in one part.
3. Using 1 teaspoon of dough, roll out to a pencil-thin strip about 4-5 inches long. Rolling the strips on a pastry cloth with your hands makes a smooth strip.
4. Place a white strip and a red strip side by side and twist them together. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Turn one end to form a handle for the cane. Roll the strips one at a time, as rolling them all at one time could make the dough dry before you twist each one.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. Place cookies on a cooling rack. Combine crushed peppermint stick candy and sugar. Sprinkle mixture over warm cookies.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
For more on Marjorie Johnson, check out BlueRibbonBaking.com