Caramel Apples (Makes 8-12 apples)
- 8-12 small granny smith apples, skewered with popsicle sticks, and kept in the fridge
- ½ cup water
- 1 ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Candy toppings: m&ms, crushed cookies, sprinkles, etc.
Ingredients for Candied Apples (Makes 8-12 apples)
- 8-12 small granny smith apples
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon red gel food coloring
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon extract
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip (Makes 2 cups)
- 1 cup smooth, unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Salt, to taste
Directions for Caramel Apples
1. Combine water, sugar, and salt in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Stir gently with fork until sugar is dissolved. Bring to rolling boil, about 3-5 minutes.
2. Simmer caramel until honey-gold color is achieved, 8-10 minutes.
3. Immediately add cream, then reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Stir with silicone spatula until caramel reaches 250˚, 6-8 minutes.
5. Pour hot caramel into heat-safe bowl, allow to cool down to 212˚.
6. Dip cold apples (straight from fridge) in caramel. Let excess caramel drip off into bowl before transferring to parchment lined sheet tray. If caramel gets too thick while dipping, briefly heat it over simmering water.
7. Sprinkle or roll apples with/in candy toppings or cookies.
8. Allow apples to set at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
Directions for Candied Apples
1. Line sheet tray with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray.
2. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
3. Bring mixture to boil, cook until it reaches 300˚-310˚.
4. Remove saucepan from stove, stir in food coloring and cinnamon extract.
5. Dip apples in candy coating, swirling to coat evenly. Allow excess candy to drip back into pan.
6. Place coated apples on sheet tray, allow to fully set before eating.
Directions for Dip
1. Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and combined.
2. Serve with apple slices.