- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve the fat)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 10 slices French bread
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Recipe courtesy Kelly Minter -- from her new cookbook, “A Place at the Table”
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES | SERVES: 6–8
1. In a soup pot, add the bacon fat and onion. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add garlic, squash, apples, and chicken broth. Salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer, covered, until squash is very tender.
2. Remove from heat and puree soup in blender (or use immersion blender). Then transfer back to the soup pot and add more chicken broth if needed. Just before serving, stir in the bacon and heavy cream.
3. To make croutons: preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Cut the bread into crouton shape. Toss croutons with the apple butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Shake the baking sheet, turning the croutons around, and bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and add croutons to soup bowls.