Makes up to 6-8 large biscuits!
Buttermilk Gluten-Free Biscuits with Jam and Honey Butter
6-8 large biscuits
For Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour
- 3 cups Tapioca Starch
- 3 cups Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Potato Flour or Starch
For Flaky Buttermilk Gluten-Free Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cup GF Flour Mix *
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 9 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup COLD buttermilk
For Roasted Red Plum Jam with Thyme
- 5 lbs Red Plums
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, (reserve 1 ½ teaspoons of the zest)
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar pectin
For Sea Salt and Honey Butter
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, room temperature.
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coarse Hawaiian sea salt
- Cover sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, “cut” the butter into the flour, until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add buttermilk and work it until it just starts to come together.
- Dust counter top or cutting board with GF flour and dump biscuit dough on top. Flatten it out into 3/4″ disk.
- Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut dough and place biscuits onto sheet pan.
- Repeat until all the dough is used, working the dough as little as possible.
- Brush buttermilk on top of biscuits and sprinkle sugar on top for sweet biscuits or sea salt if you are making savory ones.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden brown.
- To prepare your jam jars, boil 6 half pint jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Wash the lids and rings and bring them to a simmer in a separate, small saucepan of water. Turn off the heat and allow jars, lids and rings to sit in hot water until you need them.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Halve the plums, remove the pits and place them cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar and tuck the sprigs of thyme into the fruit. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- When the plums are done roasting, place them in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, along with lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir the remaining sugar and pectin in a small bowl, then stir the mixture into Dutch oven and return to a boil. Cook until the mixture registers 220 degrees Farhenheit on a candy thermometer.
- Turn off the heat and skim any foam off. Fold in lemon zest. Ladle the jam into the prepared jars, and wipe the rims of the jar lids with a clean paper towel and seal.
- Place the sealed jars back into the boiling water. Make sure the jars are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Using a jar lifter, remove the jars to a cooling rack.
- Label and store sealed jars in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
- Using a mixer, whip butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy. Fold salt in gently with a rubber spatula. Serve at room temperature.
Get more from Alex at AlexTCooks.com