Ingredients for Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour
- 3 cups Tapioca Starch
- 3 cups Cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Potato Flour or Starch
Ingredients for Flaky Buttermilk Gluten-Free Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cup GF Flour Mix *
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 9 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup COLD buttermilk
Roasted Red Plum Jam with Thyme
- 5 lbs Red Plums
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, (reserve 1 ½ teaspoons of the zest)
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar pectin
Ingredients for Sea Salt and Honey Butter
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, room temperature.
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coarse Hawaiian sea salt
DIRECTIONS FOR BISCUITS
1) Cover sheet pan with parchment paper.
2) Whisk flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
3) Using a pastry cutter or a fork, “cut” the butter into the flour, until it resembles coarse sand.
4) Add buttermilk and work it until it just starts to come together.
5) Dust counter top or cutting board with GF flour and dump biscuit dough on top. Flatten it out into 3/4″ disk.
6) Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut dough and place biscuits onto sheet pan.
7) Repeat until all the dough is used, working the dough as little as possible.
8) Brush buttermilk on top of biscuits and sprinkle sugar on top for sweet biscuits or sea salt if you are making savory ones.
9) Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden brown.
DIRECTIONS FOR JAM
To prepare your jam jars, boil 6 half pint jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. Wash the lids and rings and bring them to a simmer in a separate, small saucepan of water. Turn off the heat and allow jars, lids and rings to sit in hot water until you need them.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Halve the plums, remove the pits and place them cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar and tuck the sprigs of thyme into the fruit. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
When the plums are done roasting, place them in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, along with lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Stir the remaining sugar and pectin in a small bowl, then stir the mixture into Dutch oven and return to a boil. Cook until the mixture registers 220 degrees Farhenheit on a candy thermometer.
Turn off the heat and skim any foam off. Fold in lemon zest. Ladle the jam into the prepared jars, and wipe the rims of the jar lids with a clean paper towel and seal.
Place the sealed jars back into the boiling water. Make sure the jars are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Boil for 10 minutes.
Using a jar lifter, remove the jars to a cooling rack.
Label and store sealed jars in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
DIRECTIONS FOR BUTTER
Using a mixer, whip butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy. Fold salt in gently with a rubber spatula. Serve at room temperature.
Get more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Get more from Alex at AlexTCooks.com