Ingredients for Pasta
- 2 tbsps salt
- ¾ lb. guanciale or pancetta, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion, halved and cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 ½ tsps. crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups basic tomato sauce *see recipe below
- 1 lb. bucatini pasta
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley – leaves only
- Pecorino Romano cheese for grating
Ingredients for Pasta Sauce (Makes 4 cups)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in ¼ inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and then thinly sliced
- 3 tbsps chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tbsp. dried
- ½ medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 cans peeled whole tomatoes (28 oz.) 2 cans crushed by hand and juices reserved
- Salt to taste
Directions for Pasta
Bring 6 qts of water to a boil, and add 2 tbsps. salt.
Place pancetta slices in a 12 to 14 inch sauté pan in a single layer, and cook over medium-low heat until most of the fat has been rendered from the meat, turning occasionally. Remove the meat to a plate lined with paper towels and discard half the fat, leaving enough to coat the garlic, onion and crushed pepper. Return pancetta to the pan with the onion, garlic and red pepper and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until the onions, garlic and pancetta are light golden brown. Season with salt and pepper, add the tomato sauce, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Cook the bucatini in the boiling water according to the package directions, until al dente. Drain the pasta and add it to the simmering sauce. Add the parsley leaves and increase the heat to high, toss to coat. Divide the pasta among 4 warmed pasta bowls. Top with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, serve immediately.
Directions for Sauce
In 3 qt saucepan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot, and cook 5 minutes more until the carrot is quite soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt, and serve. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page