1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9x13-inch cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and chocolate and heat over medium heat, gently stirring, until the chocolate and the sugar have melted. This step can also be done in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Mix until combined.
4. Whisk the oil, eggs, and vanilla into the cooled chocolate mixture.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Do no over-mix, as it will toughen the brownies.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula and top with additional chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Take care not to overbake, or they won’t be as fudgy on the inside. Let cool fully in the pan on a wire rack.
8. Turn the brownie block out onto a flat surface and cut it into 9 or 12 squares.
9. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge sauce if desired.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.