- 1¼ cups (284 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams), room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (43 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole buttermilk
- 1 (1-ounce) bottle (29 grams) liquid red food coloring
- Cream cheese filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, sugared rosemary
CREAM CHEESE FILLING (Makes about 1⅓ Cups):
- 8 ounces (226 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°f (180°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add food coloring and stir until combined.
- Spray a 10-cup bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon two-thirds of batter (about 936 grams) into prepared pan. Gently tap pan on counter several times. Using a small spoon, make a well in center of batter, slightly pushing batter up sides and center of pan. Spoon cream cheese filling into well, making sure filling does not touch sides of pan, and gently tap on counter to release any air bubbles. Using a knife, swirl filling and batter, being careful not to touch sides of pan. Spoon remaining batter on top. Swirl filling and batter again, being careful not to touch sides of pan. Tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter a few times to settle batter and release any air bubbles. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and immediately tap pan on counter 4 to 5 times to release any air bubbles from cream cheese filling. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Invert pan onto a wire rack, and let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove pan, and let cake cool completely. Garnish with
- Confectioners’ sugar and sugared rosemary, if desired. Cover
- And refrigerate for up to 3 days.
DIRECTIONS CREAM CHEESE:
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until combined and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
PRO TIP: If the filling touches the pan, it allows the cake to crack easily, and the cake will split when removed from the pan. Creating a well for the filling in the center of the batter helps keep the filling from the edges.