Makes about 36 cookies
1. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine spiced rum, cherries, pineapple, crystallized ginger, and orange, and heat on high until hot, 2 to 3 minutes; let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain fruit mixture. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in rum extract.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves. Add flour mixture to butter mixture all at once; beat at low speed just until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Fold in fruit mixture and pecans. (Dough will be sticky.)
5. Place remaining ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar on a rimmed plate. Using a 2-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and shape into balls (42 grams each). Roll in sugar, and place 1½ to 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten balls to 1-inch thickness.
6. Bake until light golden brown and set around the edges, about 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks. Place Rum Drizzle in a piping bag and cut a 1/4-inch opening in tip. Drizzle onto cooled cookies.
RUM DRIZZLE DIRECTIONS:
Makes about ½ cup
1. In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.