- 1 package of refrigerated low-fat crescent rolls
- 3 whole eggs, 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 8 ounces low-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- olive oil
- 8 pieces softly cooked turkey bacon
- 3 scallions chopped or 1/4 c finely chopped red onion
- optional: 2 TB chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk mixed with a TB of water or milk
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Open up refrigerated crescent rolls, separate, and form a "star" on a pre-greased cookie sheet, with all bases of the rolls overlapping a bit. Place a piece of cooked turkey bacon over each branch of the star.
3. Mix eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, cumin and oregano in a medium bowl.
4. Heat up a large non-stick pan, and add 1-2 TB olive oil. Once it shimmers, add the scallions or red onion, peppers and sauté until soft. Add the egg mixture and cook until eggs just come together (they should be pretty soft).
5. Take 1/2 the cheese and form a ring around the central area of the "star." Carefully heap the eggs around the center of the star, top with more cheese. Season with a little sea salt and pepper.
6. Fold over the bacon-lined points of the star into the center. Brush the pastry with egg wash and bake in pre-heated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with salsa and chopped cilantro.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DR. JJ LEVENSTEIN:
To learn more about parent’s concerns with kids go to her Facebook page at: facebook.com/callingdoctorjj or her website at www.callingdoctorjj.com
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page