Prepare a week’s worth of breakfast meals to go the whole family will love in just 30 minutes.
Grab-and-Go Breakfast Egg Cups
Recipe by Dan Kohler, 9/2/2020
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ~ 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons caramelized onions (recipe below)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (recipe below)
- 8 grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sauteed mushrooms (recipe below)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 medium yellow onion (~350g)
- olive oil
SHEET PAN BACON
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup sliced raw mushrooms (any mixture will do)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°f | 180°c. Lightly spray a 12-cup capacity muffin tin with nonstick oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ~⅓ cup egg mixture into each cup of a greased muffin tin.
- Divide the three topping combinations into 4 muffin cups each.
- Gently stir cheeses and toppings into each cup with a chopstick.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed up and just set in the center.
- Serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat when ready to serve.
YIELD: ~⅓ CUP
- Slice onion thinly.
- Heat skillet over medium flame, add oil and stir in onions.
- Season onions with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and saute onions, stirring occasionally, for 45-60 minutes. onions should be mahogany brown and reduced to roughly ⅓ cup.
Sheet Pan Bacon:
- Heat oven to 400˚f.
- Put bacon on sheet pan. Invert wire rack on top, holding bacon slices flat.
- Bake bacon for 15-20 minutes, or until desired texture is achieved.
- Remove bacon from oven, take out of pan, cool on wire rack.
YIELD: ~⅓ CUP
- Heat cast-iron skillet over medium flame.
- Add oil, then stir in mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms over medium-high heat until reduced and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove from pan.