- 4 5oz pieces of salmon filet (skinless)
- 12 multicolor heirloom carrots (washed and tops removed)
- 6 fingerling potatoes (washed and halved and large ones quartered)
- 6 baby turnips (tops removed, washed, peeled and quartered)
- 6 baby beets (tops removed, washed, peeled and quartered)
- 1 bulb fennel and fennel fronds reserved (fennel shaved thin and held in ice water. Then drained before serving)
- ½ cup cranberry sauce
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (picked and rough chopped)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (picked and rough chopped)
- 1cup sugar
- 1cup cranberry juice (water is fine too)
- 12oz cranberries (frozen is fine, just defrost)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 star anise
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sugar and cranberry juice until sugar dissolves. Add cranberries, star anise and cook until cranberries burst, 20 minutes. Stir in orange zest, and a pinch of salt. Remove saucepan from heat and let cool completely. Remove star anise before serving.
ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make sure you cut all your root vegetables the same size, so they cook evenly. Place all vegetables in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons evoo, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper. Arrange evenly on a sheet tray and place in oven for 30 minutes. At 15 minutes rotate your sheet tray and move your vegetables around with a spatula so they don’t stick and cook evenly.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then heat a large nonstick skillet or cast iron to high heat. Drizzle in 3 tablespoons of evoo. Once hot place your (salt and pepper seasoned) salmon fillets presentation side down in the pan and sear to form a nice crust on the salmon. Turn salmon pieces over and glaze with your cranberry sauce. Then place the pan of salmon in the oven for 7 min or less based upon your desired doneness. Let rest for 2 minutes before plating.
Shave your fennel paper-thin and hold in ice water. Drain ice water and pat fennel dry. Toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon evoo and 1/2 tsp lemon juice and fennel fronds (season with salt).
For each serving place your root vegetable mix in the center of the plate. Then place your cranberry salmon atop the vegetables. To finish gently place the shaved fennel atop the salmon. Enjoy!