Ingredients for Tacos
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless salmon (skin-on) or halibut fillets
- Sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Taco & Fajita Spice Blend (see attached recipe)
- 1 head red cabbage, leaves separated
- ½ cup Marinated Onions (see attached recipe)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Ingredients for Serving
- Spicy Citrus Slaw (see attached recipe)
- Sliced avocado or Avocado Crema (see attached recipe)
- 4 lime wedges
Ingredients for Taco and Fajita Spice Blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients for Marinated Onions
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon course or flake sea salt, or ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or dried chives
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium red onions, cut in 1/4 -inch-thick half moons
Ingredients for Spicy Citrus Slaw
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- A few pinches of sea salt
- 1 (16-ounce) bag coleslaw mix (or about ½ head of cabbage and 1 carrot, shredded)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced, seeded if desired for less heat (optional)
Ingredients of Avocado Crema
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and halved
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions for Tacos
Prep time: 10 minutes| Cook time: 10 minutes| Yield:8 tacos (2 per serving)
1. Set an oven rack directly below the broiler and turn the oven to the low broil setting. Heat a large oven-safe skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat.
2. Lightly season the skin side of the salmon with salt and season the other side with the spice blend. Place the salmon skin side down in the dry, hot pan and sear for 3 minutes.
3. Transfer the pan to the oven, directly below the broiler. Broil for 4 to 5 minutes, until the fish is opaque. Remove the pan from the oven and flake the fish with a fork. Set the skin aside to eat separately.
4. Assemble the tacos: Using 1 or 2 large cabbage leaves per taco, layer on the fish, marinated onions, and cilantro. Serve with the citrus slaw, avocado, and lime wedges.
CALORIES: 399| FAT: 21 g| PROTEIN: 37 g| CARBS: 17 g| FIBER: 5 g| NET CARBS 12 g
Directions for Spice Blend
PREP TIME: 15 minutes| YIELD: 4 servings
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
Directions for Marinated Onions
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the oil, vinegar, salt, and spices. Add the onions, stir to coat well, cover, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Note: The onions will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
CALORIES: 26| FAT: 0 g| PROTEIN: 1 g| CARBS: 5 g| FIBER: 1 g| NET CARBS 4 g
Directions for Citrus Slaw
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon and lime zest, lemon and lime juice, and salt, and whisk until well mixed. Add the slaw mix and jalapeno (if using) and toss until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
CALORIES: 82| FAT: 4 g| PROTEIN: 2 g| CARBS: 13 g| FIBER: 5 g| NET CARBS 8 g
Directions for Crema
PREP TIME: 10 minutes| YIELD: ¾ cup (2 tablespoons per serving)
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
2. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
CALORIES: 65| FAT: 6 g| PROTEIN: 1 g| CARBS: 3 g| FIBER: 2 g| NET CARBS 1 g