Chef Cat Cora is making a hearty chili with black eyed peas.
- 1 pound Chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/ 2-by-3- inch strips
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, diced (about 1 cup
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans Black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 4 ounce Can chopped green chiles
- 2 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons Pure chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3 cups Water, plus more if needed
- 2 cups Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro
Black Eyed Peas Chili - Home & Family
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-high and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans, corn, chiles, spices, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Add more water, ½ cup at a time, if the chili is too thick. When the chili is done, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Ladle the chili into bowls and top each serving with a spoonful of cheese and a sprinkling of cilantro.