- 80 grams (½ cup) white sesame seeds
- 84 grams (½ cup) black sesame seeds
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 130 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 60 grams (¼ cup) tahini
- 210 grams (1 cup) turbinado sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 pints ice cream or sorbet, such as dulce de leche, ginger, vanilla or mango
Start to finish: 45 minutes, plus cooling and chilling
Makes 30 cookies, or 15 ice cream sandwiches
Recipe Courtesy “Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street” – 177MilkStreet.com
1. Heat the oven to 350°F with racks in the upper- and lower-middle positions. Line 2 baking sheets with kitchen parchment.
2. In a 12-inch skillet over medium, combine both sesame seeds and toast, stirring frequently, until the white seeds are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool completely; wipe out but do not wash the skillet.
3. Set the empty skillet over medium and melt the butter. Cook, swirling the pan frequently, until the milk solids at the bottom are browned and the butter has a nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Immediately pour into a medium heatproof bowl and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
4. To the butter, whisk in the tahini, sugar and salt; the sugar will not fully dissolve. Whisk in the egg. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the sesame seeds. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
5. Form the dough into thirty 1-inch balls (1 rounded tablespoon each), rolling the dough between the palms of your hands. Arrange 15 balls on each prepared baking sheet, evenly spacing them. Using the palm of your hand, flatten each into a disc about ¼ inch thick.
6. Bake until light golden brown at the edges, 12 to 14 minutes, switching and rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Let cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
7. Line both baking sheets with foil and stack on top of each other. Transfer cookies to the top baking sheet, placing half of them flat side up. Chill in freezer 15 minutes. Remove top baking sheet with cookies, leaving second sheet in freezer. Scoop ¼ cup ice cream into a ball shape and release onto the flat side of a cookie. Place a second cookie flat side down on top of ice cream. Press gently to spread the ice cream to the edges. Repeat with remaining cookies. Place them onto the baking sheet in the freezer and chill until solid, about 2 hours. If keeping overnight, wrap baking sheet in plastic.
TIP: Pair these cookie sandwiches with ginger, dulce de leche, vanilla ice cream, or mango sorbet’’
TIP: Don't toast the black and white sesame seeds separately. Since the black sesame seeds won't darken in color as they cook, the color of the white seeds will help you gauge doneness. As you toast, stir frequently and pay attention, as they burn easily.