- 3 14 oz cans of organic young jackfruit - I like the one by Native Forest (available on Amazon or Whole Foods)
- 1 tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- BBQ Seasoning: 2 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp ground chili powder
- ¾ cup of BBQ sauce (I like Annies)
1) Drain jackfruit, and cut away and discard the “core” portion of the fruit.
2) Mix seasoning together and rub into the jackfruit. Leave for one hour.
3) Meanwhile heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and carrots, and fry until soft.
4) Add the jackfruit, and fry until the fruit has slightly browned.
5) Add the BBQ sauce, and enough water to create a thick sauce. Turn down the heat to low, cover pan and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
6) Serve on a bun (You can go gluten free or whole wheat) but my secret guilty pleasure is a brioche bun!
7) I also serve with coleslaw (can provide a recipe if you want)
8) And, vegetarian baked beans (very important because it adds the protein needed for this dinner).
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page