Brown the Meat
1) In a shallow bowl combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Pat beef chuck dry with a paper towel and discard paper towel
2) Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.
3) Dredge the pieces of beef in the flour mixture. Shaking the excess off before you add the pieces to the pot of warmed oil. Work in batches to avoid crowding, keeping one single layer.
4) Cook, turning the pieces as they brown on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and reserve. If the meat starts really burning adjust your heat and add a little more olive oil if necessary.
5) Once you are done browning the meat add the onions to the pan. Saute the onions in the drippings until they soften and start turning a golden brown color, about 6 minutes.
6) Then add in the wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
7) Add in the broth, bay leaf, and stir.
1) Add the meat back to the pot, along with any drippings from the plate.
2) Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cover and braise until the meat is fork tender, about 2 hours. Periodically check the pot and give it a stir.
3) After 2 hours, add the carrots to the pot. Re-cover and let braise another 30 minutes, until carrots are tender.
4) After 30 minutes season the stew with salt and pepper according to your taste. Discard the bay leaves. Then stir in vinegar. Let it simmer together another 5 minutes.
5) Spoon over the open baked potatoes and serve!
Oven Baked Potatoes
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
2) Pierce each potato with a fork about 4-6 times. Rub the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
3) Wrap each potato in foil. Then place onto a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 45-60 minutes. You know the potatoes are done when you can stick a fork into them easily.
4) Unwrap each potato and place each one in a shallow bowl or plate. Cut each potato in half. Using a fork loosen some the potato inside. Almost like you are fluffing it a bit! Then add your stew on top!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page