- 2 pounds salt cod
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 large red peppers, cored and sliced into 6 equal pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cored and sliced into 6 equal pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1. Soak cod in water in the refrigerator. Change the water twice a day for 2 to 3 days to remove any extra salt. After soaking, check for saltiness by cutting a small piece of the fish from the thickest part and taste.
2. When ready to assemble the dish, heat a sauce-pan on medium heat. After 1 minutes, add 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. After another minute add the garlic and cook until lightly brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Meanwhile, remove the cod from the water and dry on paper towels. Cut into 12 pieces.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
5. In a large 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Using a mandolin, thinly shave the potatoes and slightly overlap them in the dish. Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and lemon zest.
6. Lay the fish over the seasoned potatoes. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Place the peppers on top of the fish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over the peppers. Season once more with salt and pepper.
7. Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the potatoes and fish begin to brown.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Take to the table and serve out of the baking dish.