Directions for Penne
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1½ teaspoons salt and cook, stirring often, until nearly al dente. Drain pasta and return it to pot.
2. Add sauce, artichokes, spinach, lemon zest, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to combine. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish and spread into even layer. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
3. Cover dish tightly with greased aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until exposed pasta is spotty brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Directions for Cream Sauce
1. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine, bring to simmer, and cook until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes.
2. Whisk in milk, cream, Parmesan, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to simmer and cook until Parmesan has melted and sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Porcini Cream Sauce
Substitute 1 minced shallot for garlic, 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced, for pepper flakes, and Pecorino Romano for Parmesan.
Gorgonzola-Walnut Cream Sauce
Omit pepper flakes. Substitute 1 minced shallot for garlic, 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola for Parmesan, and chives for parsley. Stir 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped fine, into sauce with chives.
More Ways to Use Cream, Butter, and Cheese Sauces
• Spoon over grilled or roasted poultry, pork, and fish
• Toss with roasted or steamed vegetables