Cameron Mathison makes the perfect Labor Day weekend meal at home, spicy lemon shrimp skewers and herb stuffed zucchini.
SPICY LEMON SHRIMP SKEWERS:
- 12 or more Wooden Skewers
- 6 lemons
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 T Olive Oil
- 3 T Sriracha (chili sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 30 extra large shrimp, unpeeled
- Oil for the grill
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- Salt and Pepper
HERB STUFFED ZUCCHINI:
- 2 Zucchini
- 1/3 C. Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tomato
- 1 garlic clove
- Parsley and dill
- Walnuts or nut of choice
- Olive Oil
At Home With Our Family - At Home With Our Family - Spicy Lemon Shrimp Skewers
- Grate the zest of 4 lemons and pulse in a mini food processor with 3 Tablespoons salt.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 of the zested lemons into a large bowl; add the lemongrass, olive oil, Sriracha, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of the lemon salt mixture.
- Thinly slice the 2 remaining lemons and add to the bowl.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut through the shrimp shells along the outer curve, leaving the shells on.
- Remove the veins and rinse the shrimp. Ass to the bowl with lemongrass marinade and toss and refrigerate for 1 hour. Soak wood skewers in water.
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Thread the shrimp onto the skewers. Brush the grill with vegetable oil, then place the lemon slices on the grill until they char. Turning once for a total of 2 minutes. Transfer to the platter. Stir the mint into the remaining marinade. Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and cook until shells begin to char – approx. 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to platter with lemons and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the outside one or two layers; these are generally the most tough
- Remove the end (root end) and discard along with the outer layers
- Use a knife to cut the lemongrass in half the long way, so that you have two pieces that each have a flat side
- Place that flat side of the piece on the cutting board, and keeping the tip of your knife on the board, and the claw grip, chop along the length of lemongrass very finely
- If needed, gather the chopped pieces together, and chop through them a few more times to get very small pieces
Herb Stuffed Zucchini:
Split 2 medium zucchini and scoop out the seeds and season with salt. Combine panko breadcrumbs, 1 chopped tomato, ¼ mixed chopped parsley and dill, 2T chopped walnuts or nut of choice, 1 finely minced garlic clove, 2 T olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
Check out all At Home With Our Family videos, recipes and DIYs >>