At Home With Our Family - Debbie's 4th of July Mediterranean Salad
Debbie shares her recipe for a quinoa and bulgur wheat salad perfect for the Fourth of July.
1 package bulgar wheat/quinoa blend OR just bulgar wheat
5 cups vegetable broth
1 English cucumber cored deseeded and finely chopped
4-5 tomatoes on the vine deseeded and finely chopped
3 or 4 green onions chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
3-4 green onions chopped
1-2 cloves of a garlic minced
Zest of one lemon
1/2 bunch of flat leaf Italian parsley chopped (add more or less to taste)
1/2 bunch of mint chopped (add more or less to taste)
1 package of Greek Feta
1/2 -1 cup of walnuts
Juice of one lemon
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 Teaspoon of salt
1. Cook bulgar wheat/quinoa according to package.
2. While it’s cooking chop all vegetables, parsley, mint, garlic and lemon zest. Combine in a bowl set aside
3. Mix olive oil, lemon juice, and salt for dressing
4. Combine cooked bulgar wheat/ quinoa, all vegetables, lemon zest, garlic, mint in a bowl
5. Crumble walnuts and feta
5. Garnish with chopped parsley
7. Pour dressing on top and enjoy. ;)
NOTE: If you use water INSTEAD of the vegetable broth to cook the bulgar wheat/quinoa then ADD 2 teaspoons of salt to the water when cooking.
If raw onions do not agree with you, try sautéing they onion for 5-6 minutes instead of adding it raw. Sautéing the onion breaks down the natural chemical process in the onion that upsets people’s stomachs.