- Oil for sautéing
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 450g chopped tomatoes (from can or box)
- 8 cups liquid (water, stock, or any combination thereof!)
- 2 15-ounce cans navy beans (or kidney beans)
- 1 parmesan rind (if you have one in your fridge)
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, cut into ½ inch pieces (or 1 can green beans, drained)
- 1 cup dried pasta (macaroni, orecchiette, anything small)
- Chopped basil or parsley if you have it on hand for garnish!
1. Make the soup base: heat oil in Dutch oven or stock pot, sauté onion, carrot, celery, and minced rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, 10-15 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Add oil as necessary.
2. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes, stir and cook until the liquid has cooked off, 5-7 minutes.
4. Add beans and whatever liquid you plan to use, as well as the parmesan rind if you have it. Bring to a boil, drop to simmer, cook for at least 10 minutes and up to 2 hours before adding final ingredients.
5. When ready to serve, add dried pasta and green beans, stir and cook for 10-15 minutes, until both are tender.
6. Stir in chopped herbs just before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Watch all-new At Home With Our Family videos weekdays at 4pm EST/3pm CST/1pm PST on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Check out all At Home With Our Family videos, recipes and DIYs >>