- 1 lb. Chicken Thighs or Breast, cut in 1” cubes
- 1⁄4 Cup Whole Kumquats (about 8-10)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons (or 1 inch) Fresh Ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Kumquats, sliced into thin rounds, seeds removed
- 1 Tablespoon Light Sesame Oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sliced green onion for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
1. Add sugar and water to a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add whole kumquats and allow to simmer in the liquid for 10-15 minutes or until the kumquats start to look a little translucent and are soft to the touch.
2. Add the kumquats and the liquid to a food processor with the ginger, garlic, soy sauce and hoisin sauce and blend until smooth.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium high heat and cook until golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Add in the kumquat sauce and sliced kumquats and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Serve warm over rice, with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
Cook time: 30 minutes