Ingredients for Apricot Compote
- 1 pound Fresh Apricots
- 3 ounces Honey
- 1⁄2 Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped
- 1 strip Orange Zest, 1⁄2 inch wide
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Water
Ingredients for Apricot Stuffed French Toast
- 1⁄2 loaf brioche (~10 ounces)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup apricot compote, room temperature or cooled (recipe above)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Extra apricot compote, for serving
Directions for Compote
1. Cut apricots in half and remove pits. Cut each half in quarters.
2. Add chopped apricots, honey, vanilla seeds and pod, orange zest, lemon juice, and water to a medium saucepan and stir to combine.
3. Cook mixture on medium-low heat until apricots begin to release their juices. Turn the heat up to medium simmer apricots, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and beginning to fall apart, about 10-15 minutes. Taste apricots and adjust sweetener if desired (depending on the season and farm, apricots might be tart or very sweet).
4. Remove vanilla bean pod and orange zest. Serve compote warm or cold.
Directions for French Toast
1. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Cut bread into 4 – 6 slices, 1 ½ inches thick. The number of slices will depend on the size of the loaf. Cut a wide pocket into each slice by making a horizontal slit through the bottom. Be sure not to cut all the way through. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with apricot compote until well mixed (using whisk or electric mixer). Distribute the filling evenly between each slice of bread, spreading about 1 tablespoon of the mixture into each piece. Add bread slices to baking dish and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg until blended thoroughly. Pour egg mixture over bread slices in dish and lift up each slice so the bottom of every piece will absorb egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to one day.
5. Heat oven to 425 ̊. Uncover French toast and drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with extra apricot compote.