Chef David Rose is outside grilling up some delicious pork belly with asparagus.
Apple Mustard BBQ Pork Belly
8 to 9 servings
APPLE MUSTARD BBQ PORK BELLY:
- 3 lbs uncured pork belly
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- Apple Mustard BBQ Sauce (recipe follows)
APPLE MUSTARD BBQ SAUCE:
- 1 cup apple juice
- 7 oz whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
GRILLED ASPARAGUS WITH CHARRED RAMP VINAIGRETTE:
- 2 bunches large asparagus spears, ends trimmed (about 1.5 lbs) 8 to 10 oz ramps or green onion(scallion)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 5 cooked bacon strips, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Apple Mustard BBQ Pork Belly - Home & Family
Apple Mustard BBQ Pork Belly:
- Preheat grill to 325 degrees indirect heat or oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut pork belly into three equal portions.
- To make the dry rub, mix kosher salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and sugar in a small bowl.
- Liberally season pork belly on all sides with dry rub.
- Tightly wrap seasoned pork belly in a layer of parchment paper, followed by two layers of aluminum foil. Repeat until all three pork pieces are wrapped.
- Place wrapped pork pieces on sheet pan and cook for 3 hours at 325 degrees, pork fat side up.
- Remove pork pieces from oven and allow to cool overnight in fridge at least 8 to hours; to allow belly to cool and firm up. Remove from parchment paper and aluminum foil.
- Preheat grill to 350 to 375 degrees, about medium-high heat.
- Place pork fat side down on to grill, and grill until pork fat is rendered and crispy, about 8 to 12 mins, flip and repeat process.
- Once both sides of pork are crispy, baste with Apple Mustard BBQ sauce on both sides until BBQ sauce has a nice caramelized coating on the pork belly.
- Allow to rest for 4 to 5 mins, and slice into 1/2” medallions; serve with grilled asparagus.
Apple Mustard BBQ Sauce:
- Add all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow BBQ sauce to cool.
Grilled Asparagus with Charred Ramp Vinaigrette:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush ramps lightly with canola oil.
- Grill ramps until slightly charred. Let cool and roughly chop.
- Add ramps, bacon, olive oil, sherry vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to food processor; blend until smooth.
- Blanch asparagus for 2 to 3 mins in salted boiling water. Remove immediately from boiling water and “shock” in ice water.
- Toss blanched asparagus with ramp vinaigrette, pinch salt and pepper. Grill on med high heat about 5-7 mins until asparagus gets caramelization and grill marks.
- Serve immediately with pork belly.
You may also like these recipes: