- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 lbs chicken sausage (love the kind with spinach & mozzarella), sliced into half-moons
- 1 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 (14 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes (like the kind with basil, garlic & oregano, or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE CHEESY TOPPING:
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/2 cup grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a large pot sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, add chicken sausage, diced onions, and mushrooms. Sauté on medium for 5-10 minutes. Add grated garlic, stirring for 1 minute. Add oregano, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and kosher salt.
2. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep on low until ready to eat, and stir every once in a while.
3. In a small bowl, mix the topping ingredients: ricotta, parsley, grated garlic, and parmesan cheese, and salt. The mixture will turn a pretty green. You can use less parsley if you'd like.
4. When serving, scoop soup into bowls and add a dollop of ricotta-herb mixture. Add in more herbs if desired.