Actress and singer Alicia Witt's recipe for a guilty free and vegan holiday favorite.
- 2lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2” slices, then halved
- 1 medium/large bartlett or other green pear (firm-ripe if possible); peeled and cut into approx. 1” chunks (6/7 oz)
- 13 oz Dandies vegan marshmallows (1 1/3 10 oz bags)
- 4 tbsp Miyoko’s ‘butter’
- 1 tsp cinnamon, 2/3 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 cardamom
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 chopped pecans (optional)
- 3 grinds pink sea salt
- 3 grinds black pepper
Sweet Potato Casserole
Dinner, Side Dish
Alicia Witt Makes a Sweet Potato Casserole
- Steam sweet potatoes for 15 minutes on medium/medium-low (steaming but not boiling). Add pears and steam another 5 mins. Remove from heat and put into a glass bowl for mixing.
- Preheat oven to 325. In a small bowl, combine the ‘butter’ (softened) and maple syrup. Pour over the sweet potatoes and pears in a bowl, stir well to combine thoroughly. Mix the 3 spices in a separate bowl, then add to the sweet potatoes. Grind salt and pepper, stir the mix to combine evenly. Add pecans, if using, and stir one last time. Transfer to 8x8 glass or ceramic pan for baking. Cover with the marshmallows and put into oven. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove pan. Turn broiler on low. Move pan to top rack. Let the top brown for no more than 2 minutes (watch *very* carefully so you take them out before they burn; ovens vary!). Remove from oven, let sit for 10 mins. Serve!