Dress up your holiday table with this Sage Butter Roasted Turkey.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, fine chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 whole turkey ( about 12 to 14 pounds) rinsed and patted dry, trussed
- Cheesecloth, as needed
- 1 cup melted butter
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine softened butter, sage, salt and black pepper in small bowl and mix to blend.
- Gently slide hand under skin of turkey breast to loosen skin; spread sage butter evenly over breast meat.
- Place turkey, breast side up, in roasting pan; season lightly with salt and pepper if desired.
- Double the cheesecloth and soak in melted butter; drape evenly over turkey.
- Roast turkey for 3 to 3 3/4 hours or until juices run clear and thermometer registers 170°F at thickest part of thigh, brushing cheesecloth evenly with pan drippings every 30 minutes or so.
- Remove roasted turkey from oven, carefully remove cheesecloth, cover turkey loosely with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.