This velvety-smooth soup uses either fresh roasted pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree, simmered with a rich savory chicken stock seasoned with nutmeg, thyme and cream.
- 1/2 cup melted butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (roasted or canned)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of: salt, black pepper, nutmeg and dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of: garlic, pepper and salt
- 6 cups cubed French bread (about 1/2 large French roll)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Heat 1/4 cup butter in heavy pot; add onions, carrots and garlic.
- Sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add wine and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until liquid has reduced.
- Add chicken broth, pumpkin puree and brown sugar; simmer an additional 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Working in several smaller batches, add mixture to food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade and puree until smooth.
- Return to pot; add heavy cream, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and thyme.
- Simmer over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- To make croutons: combine 1/4 cup melted butter, sage, garlic pepper and salt in a large skillet.
- Add cubed bread and toss to blend; heat over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Remove croutons from heat, add Parmesan cheese and stir to blend.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top each with croutons, bacon and shredded cheese.