- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
- 10 apples (such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled, cored 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- egg wash, as needed
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1. To prepare pie crust: combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor bowl and pulse to blend. Add chilled butter and pulse to blend. Slowly add water just until dough holds together.
2. Divide dough into 2 pieces; flatten each into a round disk, wrap with film wrap and chill briefly.
3. On a floured surface, roll one disc into a 12-inch circle and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
4. Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss to blend.
5. Add sugar, flour and spices and toss until fully blended; spoon into crust-lined pie plate.
6. Dot filling evenly with pieces of butter.
7. Roll remaining disc into a 13-inch disc and drape over pie; flute edges and cut slits in pastry. B
8. rush pastry lightly with egg wash, if desired.
9. Refrigerate pie for 10 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 400°F.
11. Bake pie for 60 to 80 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
12. Cover pie lightly with foil after first 30 minutes of baking to keep crust from browning too quickly.
13. Cool pie completely before slicing.