- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1 cup dark rum (optional)
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, with a wire whisk, beat the eggs, sugar, and salt until blended. Gradually stir in 1-quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon well, about 25 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle. (Mixture should remain at about 160°F.)
2. Pour the custard into a large bowl; stir in the rum (if using), vanilla, ground nutmeg, and remaining 1-quart milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
3. In a small bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. With a wire whisk, gently fold the
whipped cream into the custard mixture.
4. To serve, pour the eggnog into a chilled 5-quart punch bowl; sprinkle with nutmeg for garnish.
Pre-order the official Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas Book which takes you behind-the-scenes of your favorite feel-good holiday films with the casts' memories, photos, recipes and more.