A delicious and buttery-flavored cookie with enough peppermint to remind you it’s Christmas.
- 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco shortening (solid)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups peppermint crunch baking chips
Ingredients for Chocolate Dip
- 1/2 teaspoon mint flavoring
- 1 tablespoon liquid shortening
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream shortening, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda and mix lightly.
- Stir in baking chips before dough forms; mix all together until dough is packed.
- Shape in to a log, cover with parchment or plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight (or several hours).
- When ready to use, slice log into about 1/4 –inch slices. Any smaller may make them crumble.
- Place on parchment paper on baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes. Bottoms will be brown - do not judge by the top of the cookie!
- Cool thoroughly.
- In the meantime, using a microwave, melt chocolate chips with liquid shortening and mint flavoring. Use bursts of no more than 30 seconds, stirring well in between (3 bursts should do it). Dipped cooled cookies in the chocolate and lay back out on parchment paper to harden.