- 2 cups crushed gingersnaps (about 40 gingersnaps)
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites
- Garnish: Meyer lemon slices
- Prepare Gingersnap Crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together gingersnap crumbs and butter. Firmly press mixture on bottom and up sides of a 10-inch tart pan. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Fresh Meyer Lemon Curd: Whisk together 11⁄2 cups sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 to 11⁄2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat. Stir in lemon zest and butter.
- Fill a large bowl with ice. Place pan containing lemon curd in ice, and let stand, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Spread lemon curd over prepared crust. Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on lemon curd (to prevent a film from forming); chill 2 hours. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.)
- Prepare Italian Meringue: Preheat broiler with oven rack 8 inches from heat. Combine 1⁄4 cup water, 1 cup sugar, and corn syrup in a small heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clear. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 240° (soft ball stage). Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; slowly add syrup mixture, beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon meringue in center of tart; spread to within 2 inches of edge of tart. Broil 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill 1 hour.
Makes 10 to 12 servings - Hands-on 25 min. - Total 4 Hrs 22 min.
If Meyer lemons are unavailable, substitute equal amounts of regular lemon juice and orange juice.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv