Cristina Ferrare's Tuscan Bread Soup
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes plus more for garnish
1/4 cup dry white wine
2, 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Black pepper to taste
2 cups chicken stock, homemade or store bought
2 cups day old bread, torn into pieces (sourdough baguette, Italian bread, or ciabatta)
5 fresh basil leaves rolled tightly like a cigarette and sliced thin
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
Red pepper flakes, garnish
1. Heat a heavy stockpot on medium-high heat.
2. Add the olive oil until hot but not smoking.
3. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until the garlic starts to turn a golden brown (take care not to burn garlic).
4. Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, and chicken stock.
6. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat to low boil and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
7. Add the torn bread mix and let sit about 5 minutes to help it absorb some of the liquid.
8. Heat through and serve in individual bowls.
9. Garnish with fresh basil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and extra red pepper flakes on each serving!
Return to episode guide >>