Cristina Cooks: Salmon Cakes with Spicy Mayonnaise
Spicy Mayonnaise Ingredients:
• 1-cup low-fat mayonnaise
• ½ cup ketchup
• 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
• ⅛-teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salmon Cakes Ingredients:
• 2 eggs separated
• 1 cup mashed potatoes, you can use leftover mashed potatoes, or your market may carry ready-made mashed potatoes
• 1 small onion, finely grated
• 1 scallions, chopped fine
• 4 ounces cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest, chopped fine
• 1 pound cooked salmon, chopped into small pieces
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
• 2 cups panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
• 2 cups canola oil
• 1 large lemon, sliced into 4 to 6 wedges
Make sure you visit us on pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.
To Make The Spicy Low Fat Mayo: In a small glass bowl combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, Tabasco, cayenne, and lemon juice and whisk to incorporate all the ingredients. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make The Salmon Cakes: In a separate bowl, combine one egg yolk, mashed potatoes, onion, scallion, cream cheese, sour cream and lemon zest, and mix well. Mix in the salmon, and make sure all the ingredients are incorporated. Shape in 6 (2-½ inch-wide by 1-inch-deep) patties.
Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the lemon juice and soy sauce and beat with a fork. Coat the salmon cakes in the egg wash; then roll them in the panko crumbs to coat all over. Place in the refrigerator uncovered for 1 hour.
To Fry The Salmon Cakes: Remove the salmon cakes from the fridge. In a heavy-bottomed skillet heat canola oil on high heat until hot. To test, drop a small bit of the salmon cake in the oil; if it bubbles, the oil is hot enough. Reduce heat to medium-high, add the salmon cakes, and fry for 2 minutes or until the bottom is golden and crispy. Gently flip over and fry the other side for 2 minutes. Remove cakes from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Serve on top of fresh arugula or tender baby greens with the spicy mayo and lemon wedges on the side.
Return to episode guide >>