Today on Home & Family
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013
IZOD IndyCar Series Champion Scott Dixon makes a pitstop at "Home & Family" today to talk about his life in the fast lane. He describes the sensation of driving at top speed and the risks involved. The racecar driver also discusses strategy on the track and his intense training regimen. Later, the father of two little girls challenges Mark on the "Home & Family" Speedway in giant hamster balls!
For more information on the racing circuit, go to indycar.com.
Duff Goldman Cooks Kansas City Style BBQ Ribs
Duff Goldman, owner of Charm City Cakes, is a real mama's boy. Joined by his mom, Jacqueline Winch, Duff grills fall-off-the-bone tender bbq ribs, slow and low. Jacqueline also shares all the special ingredients that go into her custom homemade bbq sauce.
Get the recipe here>>
Visit Charm City Cakes at charmcitycakes.com.
Kym Douglas' Halloween Costume Fashion Show
Anchors away! Kym Douglas is dressed as a sailor girl this Halloween and hosts an entire fashion show of costume ideas for our family members. This October 31, you can dress as anything from a pirate to a mermaid to a Greek Goddess and more.
Buy any of Kym's Halloween costume picks for 15% off until Saturday, October 26 at www.yourlamode.com.
Get additional tips from lifestyle and beauty expert Kym Douglas at KymDouglas.com.
Jessie Jane's DIY Stencil Pillows
Jessie Jane creates designer inspired pillows using stencils, so you can embellish your couch with pretty patterns or for the holidays. Decorative pillows can cost upwards of $300 in the store, but this DIY project is just small a fraction of the cost and can get the entire family's creative juices flowing. Jessie recommends taking your time while blotting the stencil, so your paint is distributed evenly.
Click here for the instructions>>
For more with Jessie Jane, visit lilyshop.com.
Dr. Ruth Sorotzkin, MD
Family physician Dr. Ruth Sorotzkin, MD from Saint John's Medical Center in Santa Monica educates us on the difference between the common cold and the flu. She explains who is most susceptible to the flu and how important the vaccine is to protect yourself from the virus. The doc elaborates on the different strains and mutations of the flu and offers solutions to treat symptoms.
1. Everyone who is at least 6 months of age should get a flu vaccine.
2. October is the best time to get a flu shot.
3. Two flu shot versions this year protect against either 3 or 4 viruses.
4. Average number of Americans hospitalized each year because of flu complications: 200,000.
5. Number of flu vaccine doses available in the U.S. for the 2013-2014 flu season: between 135 and 139 million.
6. Flu shots are covered by most insurance.
Cool Kitchen Gadgets Under $15 with Jill Simonian
Jill Simonian is here with fun and fabulous kitchen gadgets to make prep work a tad bit easier. From peeling avocados to mincing garlic to measuring servings of pasta, Jill has a handy contraption you'll want to add to your cooking utensil drawer.
Learn more details about the products>>
1. Spaghetti Timer and Measurer, $12.99 EverythingKitchens.com
2. Microplane Herb Mill, $8 Fab.com
3. The Corn Collector, $3.93 Amazon.com
4. 3-in-1 Avocado Peeler, $9.99 BedBathandBeyond.com
5. Vegetable Twister, $6.99 Amazon.com
6. The Nana Saver, $2.99 EverythingKitchens.com
7. Garlic Zoom, $9.99 BedBathAndBeyond.com
8. Citrus Peeler, $2.99 BedBathAndBeyond.com
9. Stem Gem, $7.99 BedBathAndBeyond.com
10. Palm Peeler, $5.99 BedBathAndBeyond.com
11. Avo Saver, $3.99 BedBathAndBeyond.com
For more with consumer reporter Jill Simonian, please visit thefabmom.com and follow her on Twitter @jillsimonian.
Cristina Crafts Veggie Vases
Cristina has a festive idea for an elegant and fresh look to your holiday table with healthy and organic vases carved out of vegetables. After hollowing seasonal and colorful veggies, Cristina inserts flowers or votive candles in the center.
Find out how here>>
For more recipes and crafts, check "Home & Family" out on Pinterest at pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.
+ more showtimes