Today on Home & Family Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014
Cameron Mathison tells us about his latest starring role in a Hallmark Movie Channel Original. In "My Gal Sunday," he plays a retired Secretary of State who teams up with his wife to solve mysteries. Starring alongside Jack Wagner, Cameron gets his adrenaline racing by doing his own stunts. The engineering major turned professional model/actor also shares how he incorporates meditation into his daily life. Then, Cameron turns into a handyman, demonstrating how he built shelves to organize his storage.
Steps for Cameron's DIY adjustable wooden shelves:
1. Measure and cut boards to length (2x4s to 5', 1x4s to 2')
2. Lay 2x4s side by side and place 1x4s across in ladder/palette configuration. 3. Space equally and then glue and screw secure. As both sides are the same I think seeing the creation of one side (steps 1-3) is needed. The Hallmark Movie Channel Original Movie "My Gal Sunday" premieres Saturday, January 25 at 9/8c on the Hallmark Movie Channel. Follow Cameron on Twitter @cameronmathison.
Weathering the Drought with Shirley Bovshow & Sophie Uliano
While much of the country is buried in snow, other states are suffering from drought. Shirley Bovshow and Sophie Uliano team up to share tips on how to keep plants alive under these dry conditions and how to conserve water in the meantime.
1. Incorporate different heights, colors, and textures.
2. Turn off the water when shaving, shampooing, and brushing your teeth. 3. Don't run your dishwasher or washing machine unless it's a full load. 4. Take baths sparingly. They waste up to 20 gallons of water. 5. Place a bucket underneath the faucet when waiting for water to warm up and use it to water plants. 6. Use a brush or broom to sweep your patio or driveway. Don't hose it off. Check out Shirley Bovshow's garden designing expertise at edenmakers.com and follow her on Twitter @EdenMaker.
Day 2 of Jeanette Pavini's 2014 Financial Makeover
Fun doesn't need to come to an end just because you're short on cash. Jeanette Pavini has ways to keep yourself entertained on a budget. Some of her tricks of the trade include utilizing social media, dining at a restaurant's soft open or at a culinary school, eating during early bird or late night specials, and getting standing room or partial view tickets to performances. She also shares the best time to book a flight and how you can make money by joining a focus group, taste testing, or participating on a mock jury.
1. Check out restaurant.com for discounted gift cards.
2. Broadway shows sell same-day tickets at huge discounts.
3. Become a museum member and recieve discount admission. 4. Check your credit card for discounted ticket sales on events. For more useful financial tips, please visit jeanettepavini.com and head on over to coupons.com for great savings.
Ellie Krieger Cooks Pork Tenderloin with Fennel & Grapes
Ellie Krieger, author of "Weeknight Wonders," is known for her tasty and healthy recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Today, she cooks pork tenderloin by seasoning it with ground fennel seed. For a unique blend of flavors, Ellie adds grapes in a whole new way.
Adam and Shaun Lee, co-founders of Bohemian Guitars, strum to the chord of their own guitar. Debbie Matenopoulos introduces us to the South African duo, who are on a mission to bring music education back into schools. Through crowdfunding site Kickstarter, Adam and Shaun were able to raise enough money to pursue their Bohemian Guitars business, in which they create handmade guitars out of oil cans. Top artists such as "American Idol" winner David Cook and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin are proud owners of these handcrafted instruments. Then, Adam and Shaun teach us how to make a guitar of this sort. Now you're ready to start a garage band of your own!
Learn how Adam & Shaun Lee and Bohemian Guitars are changing lives and shaping communities through music at BohemianGuitars.com. Be sure to follow them on Instagram.com/BohemianGuitars, Facebook.com/BohemianGuitars, and on Twitter @BohemianGuitars.
You can follow TV host and personality Debbie Matenopoulos on Twitter @iamdebbiem.
Tanya Memme is showing women that there is no need to fear powertools. To help the female family members overcome their intimidation of the power drill, Tanya explains how to choose the right size bit and how to operate the clutch. Plus, Tanya introduces a versatile 5-in-1 painting tool to help DIYers with all their painting needs.
1. 12-18 Volt models of cordless drills are the most popular and they will usually meet a homeowner's needs.
2. The "clutch" reacts to the resistance of the screw and is adjusted as the density of your material changes. 3. An adjustable clutch can also reduce the possibility of stripping a screw head. 4. The 5-in-1 paint tool can help you prepare your wall, open your paint can, and even clean off your paint roller. This is available at any hardware store for under $5. Leatherman's are available at most hardware stores. Tweet lifestyle expert Tanya Memme @Tanya_Memme. Also, visit her on Facebook and check out TanyaMemme.com.
Natural Deodorants vs. Drugstore Deodorants with Sophie Uliano
Sophie Uliano addresses concerns associated with aluminum and other chemicals that are commonly found in store-bought deodorants. She also points out the main difference between antipersperants and deodorants. Plus, Sophie explains why it's better to buy products that are labeled unscented and paraben free. Then, she makes a chemical-free deodorant.
1. Synthetic preservatives found in deodorant can disrupt hormonal balance.
2. "Natural" deodorants work to eliminate odor-causing bacteria. Check out Sophie's other natural deodorizers:
Roll on: Herbal Magic www.homehealth.com
Solid Stick: Toms of Maine www.tomsofmaine.com
Paste: Schmidts www.opensky.com/schmidts-deodoran
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at
pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter
Facebook. Plus, check out our
YouTube channel for backstage videos.